www.flickr.com
osakasteve's Gamercard

02 June 2004

The End of Math

Not much posting over the past weekend. Eli was in town for memorial weekend, so my idle hands were occupied with something other than this thumbpad.

I was sitting in math class just a little while ago learning about the sum/difference of perfect cubes. Everyone knows this argument (because I think everyone has used it at some point), but I feel like restating it: Where in life will I use this shit?! If anyone can point me to a real world application that requires me to execute the formula: A cubed + B cubed = (A+B)(A squared - AB + B squared) then please show it to me. Otherwise we should dial down the egos of Mathematicians and get on with our lives. Wouldn't the young adults of America be better served learning to manage their bank accounts, taxes, and investment portfolios?

Then instead of each generation going through a period of loathing their educational workload, we could have some fiscially-knowledgable young people putting more money into their savings and the markets, and less into hideous Louis Vuitton handbags, which mind you won't hold the smallest textbook. There must be a motive behind continuing the tradition of Americans spending money and not accounting for it.

As Bob Pierce says, when you want to understand why something is, figure out who profits. In my current example, those profiting are math professors and VISA/AMEX, whose cards we use to purchase our stupid designer purses. Well factor out the professors, because they're driven by a need to survive and a need to justify all the time they spent learning to teach this non-applicable shit. This leaves us with the credit card companies, who need to perpetuate a lack of fiscal responsiblity, as it continues their very healthy revenue stream.

I think the conclusion I've reached is that if Tyler Durden had his way, I wouldn't have to sit through that class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger